Friday, May 6, 2011

Freaky Friday: The Horse Spider

Hello and Happy Freaky Friday to you!

Today I want to share a piece of art that caught my eye one day when browsing tumblr. I have to give major props to this artist. I thought nothing could make a spider scarier. I was wrong. A spider made out of horse legs. That’s scarier.

Is it a spider horse or a horse spider? I cannot decide.


The piece is described as:
“An arachnid-like creature fabricated from horse legs… sighted at the hotel Drouot in Paris.”
Yeah, I’m not even sure what to make of this... thing I feel like this needs to find its way into a horror movie.


Another photo description added that the artist was Thomas Monin. After a quick Google search, I found that he’s a French artist. I cannot figure out too much about him. He is French so naturally his website would be in French. Google translator was not much help to me.

Here is a link to his website. I suggest browsing through the gallery


It says on the website the piece is called “Archival”
Object. 2003. Taxidermy. Dimensions about 220 x 200 x 110 cm. Eight legs of horses are naturalized assembled into a large spider stuck in his movement.
Beth Arnold has an article on her blog, Paris Art Market Buzz, columnist Paul Paradis got a chance to see the work in person back in 2009:
“A terrifying creature composed of 8 real horses’ legs resembling a tarantula crawling out of a scene from the Land of the Lost or an Edgar Allen Poe nightmare made me shiver as I wondered whether it was a chair or a sculpture, or whether it really mattered. The work, also by Monin was estimated at €7,800 - 8,800 and did not find a buyer.”
Hmm, wonder if this beauty is still for sale?

No I am certain that not even I could bear to be in the same room as this for long. This is one of those things that would surely come alive & kill you in your sleep.

Taxidermy is something I have mixed feelings about. When it is of the sort of animal I would not encounter in my daily life, say a giraffe, it does not bother me. But when it’s a dog, or even a kitten, it feels weird to look at. As long as the animals have died of natural causes before they are turned into art, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with taxidermy. But then again, it is something that I do not know too much about.

How do you feel about taxidermy?

Stay Spooky,

No comments:

Post a Comment